Friday, January 9, 2009

Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive


I get asked all the time what I adhere all of my die cuts and paper piecings with. This is it!
I found that some of the pieces I cut with my Cricut are so tiny, it is almost impossible to get them adhered down and so I was on the hunt for the product that would save me. I knew I needed something with a small and pointed nozzle on it and that is what I first noticed about this product. Truthfully, it was the only reason I bought it and decided to give it try. Don't get me wrong, I was really skeptical! Anyone who knows me, knows how much I hate glue because it ripples. Guess what? This never has for me! No, really. I have found that the secret to using this, is dots. Small dots running along the area you would like to adhere down. But, use it sparingly, at little goes a long way! Use about half what you think you would really need and that will get the job done. Now, the big thing about this adhesive is that it drys SUPER fast, so be sure you are putting everything you want down exactly the way you want it. It only takes seconds for a permanent bond and ripping up is not an option! It also drys clear, so if you get a bit too much and it squishes out, just run your finger along and clean it up. The best thing of all is that it is cost effective. Runs $4-$7 for a 2 oz or 4 oz bottle. I only went through two 2 oz bottles last year! Amazing.
Why I love this adhesive:
  • Inexpensive
  • A little goes a long way
  • Quick drying... let's me get more done and faster
  • NO Ripples!
  • Acid free
  • Non-toxic
  • Photo safe
  • Small nozzle tip, perfect for the tiny pieces and letters
  • Works with any paper
  • Can sew right over it
  • Permanent bond
  • Cleans up with warm water
  • One bottle lasts for months!
  • Can find it just about anywhere paper is sold

This post would not be complete with out the following information. °Ü°

Clogged Tip: It does happen and when it does, it is very important that you DO NOT squeeze and try to force the glue to come out. Why? You ask... well, I know from personal experience that the force of all the glue in the bottle will actually push the entire purple or red tip off the bottle and it will EXPLODE all over you and everything you are working on. It was even on my walls! And when I say explode, I mean it. The sound is awful.

Anyways, here is what you do. Take a pin, a straight or sewing pin and push in down into the nozzle. The skinnier the better. You don't want to stretch out the nozzle. If that doesn't seem to get the glue flowing like you would like it to, go to your sink and take the entire purple nozzle off. Run it under HOT water until your clog backs out and the water runs through the nozzle completely. DRY it really good and put it back on the bottle and you are back in business.

Where to get it: I have seen it at WalMart, Target, Michaels, JoAnn Etc, even Office Depot! FYI, Michaels and JoAnn Etc carry the larger, 4 oz bottles. I have seen it online and in a few of the scrapbook stores. The cost varies from $4-$7 depending on where you purchase and the size you want.

Now, 3M Scotch also makes a Quick Dry Tacky Adhesive. That one I have never tried. If you have, let me know how you like it and if there is any difference between the two products.

10 comments:

Stampn' Scrapin' Mom of Seven said...

You are so 100% right about this product. I love it. I wish I would have wrote this blog. I am always promoting this product with the classes I teach and you hit the nail on the head. Superbly done!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information. I will give it a try! Also, your work is amazing!!!!!!!!!

GW said...

I came across your blog when I searched Google for this product. I used the Quick Dry Tacky Adhesive for almost two years and loved it. My second bottle finally ran out and I had the LSS where I shop order me another. What came in was the Quick Dry Adhesive. They are quite different!

The Tacky adhesive, when you get it on your fingers, will pill and roll off of them if you rub them together; the adhesive you use just feels slick when dry and stays on the fingers.

The Tacky adhesive dries clear, but not glossy. The one you reviewed has a sheen to it which really shows up on layouts.

I much prefer the Tacky adhesive for these two reasons. The problem is, I don't see it in stores. All I see is the one you picture and review here. An e-mail to 3M/Scott regarding the formula(s) has gone unanswered, so I don't know if they just changed formulations or if they discontinued the Tacky version. I guess I'll have to break down and call them.

Great review, by the way!

The Avid Scrapper said...

GW, thanks so much for the heads up on the tacky adhesive! I am going to have to try it sometime. I like the fact that it drys mat and not glossy. I have gotten so good an eyeing how much to put on that I don't get an excess on anything, so I don't worry about the gloss because you never see it! If I can find it anywhere, I will let you know... Now that you mention it, I do see it for sale on online quite a bit, and have never seen it in the stores. I will have to look into that. Again, thanks. You've been a big help. I always wondered what the difference really was...

GW said...

Let me know if you find my beloved Tacky. :) It has a red nozzle, I believe.

GW said...

Well, I wrote 3M again last night and today received an answer. Unfortunately, it's no the answer I wanted to hear!

Thank you for contacting 3M regarding our Scotch(R) Quick Dry Adhesive.

The formulation was changed in 2006. The product that your local craft store is able to order for you, Scotch(R) Quick Dry Adhesive, is the only formulation of the product that is currently available.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Tina
3M Stationery Products Division
1-800-328-6276
www.scotchbrand.com


I'm devastated. :( I mean, it's not life altering, but when you find a product you truly love, use and recommend to everyone, it stinks when the company yanks it from the market.

If I had the time, I'd spearhead a movement to get the product re-introduced in the US.

The Avid Scrapper said...

Thanks for posting the info, GW. I hate it when they do that- pull a product you love. It never fails. If I find any, I will get it for you and send it to you, k?Anyone who loves the product should contact 3M and let them know. Maybe they will bring it back. I know I would love to still try it. I hope I can find some...

GW said...

You're a doll, Carla. Let me know and I will PayPal you reimbursement plus shipping! If you don't see any, maybe one of your readers will see some at an Odd Lots or something. Feel free to drop me an e-mail.

I'm waiting on word back from 3M regarding whether their overseas plants changed the formula as well. I see the Quick Dry Tacky product still up on websites in the UK. I've written some of those vendors, too, asking if someone can verify whether the product they're selling has that wording on its label.

The Avid Scrapper said...

Ok. I have done a bit of online research this morning. These are the places I have found the Quick Dry Tacky Adhesive still for sale:

http://www.misterart.com/store/view.cfm?group_id=4554&store=001

http://www.texasart.com/store/view.cfm?group_id=4554&store=001

http://www.shoptheartstore.com/product_detail_multiple.cfm?groupID=A02BB12E-4C25-450F-83A1EDBDF0337888&parentCat=879D85D3-5A92-4040-8CB84FFE59AF40EE&topCat=ca10dc26-fef2-42b5-bc5a5d7afbdd7051

And there are some shops on Ebay that sell it. The very first link I posted has it for the least amount! Hope that helps!

GW said...

Carla, thanks so much for taking time to look up those sources! May I have a drumroll, please?

Today, my husband and I stopped by Office Depot in our town. The store is closing, so they have a lot of office supplies marked down.

Well, can you guess what I found, right here in my town, right under my nose?

They rang up at $2.67 each, so I bought a dozen bottles. I'm thinking about going back and getting the rest, but that would be crazy. Right? LOL

I guess that, in the process of clearing out their warehouse area, the folks found a lot of old product they didn't even know they had. Perhaps these bottles of my precious Tacky were in that back room mishmash.

Yes, I squealed with delight when I saw the word "tacky". :D And I will undoubtably post a blog entry, complete with the photo of my surprise blessing as it sat piled on the counter at the register. ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...